Thanksgiving meatballs for dogs is a great way to include them in on the turkey tradition. YES, dogs can eat turkey! However, I don’t recommend that you feed them the beautifully decorated bird on the table. I’m sure its loaded with tons of mouth-watering flavor from onions, garlic, and spices. But these extras can be toxic for your dog.
My recipe will give your dog a taste of Thanksgiving including the turkey and pumpkin pie! What I love about this recipe is that you can add and mix in whatever “dog-friendly” ingredients you’d like. You can replace the rice with rolled oats or quinoa, even add a dash of turmeric for added flavor.
Thanksgiving Meatballs For Dogs
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 c pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c spinach, loosely packed
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1/2 c carrot, finely grated
- 1 c brown rice, cooked
Preparation: 15 min Cooking: 20 Makes: 15-20 meatballs
- Start cooking the brown rice.
- In a food processor, blend the pumpkin, egg, spinach, and parsley.
- Add this mixture to the ground turkey in a large bowl and mix.
- Next, mix in the grated carrot and rice.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (204C) and prepare a baking sheet.
- Take a spoonful of mixture and roll in your hands into a ball. Place onto the sheet.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes in the oven.
Did You Know?
Turkey is a great meat option for dogs sensitive to chicken or beef, while still providing protein. It’s a lean white meat that also helps build muscle in your dogs.
Pumpkin aids in diarrhea and constipation, both ends of the spectrum! It also has cancer-preventing antioxidants and helps them to feel full longer with the extra fiber boost.
Brown rice packs a high dose of fiber and manganese (great for your brain and metabolism). Also, it’s easily digestible, less chance of an allergic reaction, and rich in antioxidants.
Tips & Tricks
* Even if you don’t have a food processor, you can still make these yummy treats by hand. Chop and mix away!
* To check if your meatballs are ready, poke it with a fork. If it crumbles easily, then cook for 3-5 minutes longer.