Gluten-free Dog Treat Recipe: Spinach Apple + Carrot
- 2 c gluten-free flour
- 1 c carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 c spinach, finely chopped
- 1 small apple, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 c flaxseed
- 1 egg
Preparation: 20 min Cooking: 25 min Ready in: 45 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C) and prepare a baking sheet
- Prep the spinach, carrot, and apple. Slightly squeeze out excess moisture.
- Mix together the flour and flaxseed.
- Whisk the egg and add to the flour mix.
- Next add the spinach, carrot, and apple. Knead dough until mixed thoroughly.
- Sprinkle flour onto your work-station and rolling pin. Roll out your dough to a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use your favorite cookie cutter shape or cut into squares with a knife.
- Place onto the baking sheet. Put in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until you get golden brown edges.
Did You Know?
Spinach possesses so many nutritional benefits, Here’s just a few: It’s cancer preventing, good for the heart, and has iron, potassium, and fiber.
Apples are a great source of fiber, vitamin C and also aids in gastrointestinal issues.
Carrots provide a good dose of beta-carotene which improves a dog’s coat and supports eye health. Also helps to firm up loose stools.
Flaxseed is known for its omega-3 fatty acids. Aids in a beautiful mane on your dog and also said to help with arthritis pain in the joints.
Tips & Tricks
* If your dough is too dry, try adding some water bit by bit. Gradually add more flour if it’s too wet.
* Squeeze out excess water from the shredded carrots and apple to keep your dough from being too soggy. It’s easier to add more water if it ends up being too dry.
* For extra crunchy treats, turn off the heat but leave the treats in with the oven door closed until the oven cools down.